Together we moved!
This past June, communities from across Canada came together to get moving, connect with others and help their community get crowned Canada’s Most Active. Read on to learn more about the 2023 winner, Salisbury, New Brunswick.
Proudly supported by:
Congrats to Canada’s Most Active Community!
After more than 1,600 communities tracked over 390 million physical activity minutes throughout June, we’re pleased to announce that…
Salisbury, New Brunswick, is Canada’s Most Active Community for 2023
They’ve won the $100,000 grand prize to support local physical activity and sport initiatives! Read the news release to learn more about this year’s winner.
ParticipACTION also awarded additional prizes to the Most Active Community from each province and territory:
- Barriere, British Columbia
- Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Red Deer, Alberta
- Lourdes, Newfoundland and Labrador (prizing supported by the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador)
- Hay River, Northwest Territories (prizing supported by the Government of Northwest Territories)
- Inverness, Nova Scotia (prizing supported by the Province of Nova Scotia)
- Iqaluit, Nunavut (prizing supported by the Government of Nunavut)
- North Grenville, Ontario
- Tignish, Prince Edward Island (prizing supported by the Government of Prince Edward Island)
- Montreal, Quebec (prizing supported by l’Association québécoise du loisir municipal [AQLM])
- Regina, Saskatchewan (prizing supported by the Government of Saskatchewan)
- Haines Junction, Yukon
Thanks to everyone that took part in the 2023 Community Challenge!
About the challenge
What is the Community Challenge?
The ParticipACTION Community Challenge is a national physical activity and sport initiative that encourages everyone in Canada to get active throughout June in search of Canada’s Most Active Community.
Who can participate in the Community Challenge?
Everyone! The Community Challenge is open to all individuals and organizations. All minutes tracked in the free ParticipACTION app and website from June 1 – 30 count toward a community’s total score. After June 30, finalist communities will be invited to submit an application explaining why they deserve to be Canada’s Most Active Community.
How does the challenge promote equity, diversity, inclusivity and accessibility?
Everyone in Canada should have access to quality sport and physical activity opportunities that help them grow and thrive—physically, emotionally and socially.
We’re proud to provide funding through the Government of Canada’s Community Sport for All Initiative to equity-deserving populations for the 2023 challenge. Organizations who received a grant are promoting or delivering sport and physical activity opportunities to equity-deserving groups, in particular Black, Indigenous, racialized, 2SLGBTQQIA+, Persons with a Disability, low-income populations and newcomers to Canada.
This funding will help level the playing field by reducing barriers to physical activity and sport, and building stronger and healthier communities.
Communities in Action
- Red deer knows how to get active together
- Searching for Canada’s most active community
- Encouraging Canadians to get active throughout June