Ten things to do on your day off
Another long weekend is upon us! With an extra day for fun, what will you get up to this weekend? The possibilities are endless!
Here are 10 ideas to get you started:
- Plan a picnic by bike: Pick a park you’ve never been to, plan a lunch, and take a ride with a pal to the park. Need a tune-up first? Do it yourself. Bringing a date makes it even more fun. Go for a swim: Don’t live near an ocean, beach or lake? Look for a local community center with open/free swim hours. A cool swim helps to beat the heat.
- Visit a local farmer’s market: But, get there on your own steam—walking, biking, rollerblading, whatever you decide, do it on your two feet. And, the reward of seasonal fruits and veg make for the perfect snack to refuel for the trip home.
- Walk your dog: If you don’t have a dog, consider volunteering at a local pet shelter. They might need a hand with dog walking, and you’ll have the chance to snuggle a few new pet friends!
- Invite friends over for an active dinner: lawn bowling, dancing, a walk to the park to play chess or even Twister.
- Play time: Schedule in some free play time with your family at a local park or playground. If your kids are young this is easy, but if they’re a bit older, why not consider a game of pick-up (insert-sport-of-choice-here)?
- Do something you’ve never done before: Why not try that Zumba, cross-fit, kettlebell or pilates class you’ve always wanted to try? There’s no better time for ‘me-time’ than a day off!
- Fruit/veggie picking: It’s okay if you like the fruit-eating more than the fruit-picking—as long as you do both. 😉
- Clean house: An AC-friendly activity, turn up the radio, put on your favourite jams and challenge yourself to a speed clean. Raising your heart rate up for 10 minutes counts.
- Take a long walk through your neighborhood: In the evening, the weather cools slightly, and it can be a nice way to unwind and get you ready for a good night’s sleep.
With a long weekend in mind, having fun is the main thing. If you’re having fun, you’re more likely to make some of these activities a habit! Have a GREAT day off!