Written by Sue Mah, Registered Dietitian
If you like trail mix, you’re going to love these cookies! They combine the familiar flavours of trail mix with the hearty goodness of oats.
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- In a medium bowl, whisk together oats, flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream butter with brown sugar until smooth. Add egg and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Stir in the oat mixture until dough is just combined.
- In a small bowl, mix together walnuts, chocolate chips, pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries. Scoop out 2-3 Tbsp onto a plate to use as a “topping” for the cookies. Fold the rest of the nut mixture into the dough mixture.
- Refrigerate the cookie dough for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Line one large baking sheet or two small baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Use a cookie scoop to form 24 cookies or scoop the dough by heaping tablespoons. Dip the top of each cookie into the reserved nut “topping”. This will add colour and texture to the cookie. Place cookies on a lined baking sheet, 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Do not overbake. Remove cookies from the oven when the edges are golden brown, even though the cookies will still be very soft and look slightly under-baked in the centre. Allow the cookies to completely cool on a wire rack, and they will firm up. Store the cookies in an airtight container for a few days or in the freezer for up to three months.
Makes 24 cookies